Monday, January 23, 2012

Courage, Irony, and Wit

Just got back from a job interview. What a fucking humiliating experience. The hiring manager didn't even conduct the interview, instead having one of their shift managers talk with me. Asked me a bunch of stupid fucking questions for about five minutes then tells me that tattoos are against company policy blah blah blah. I am not meant to be a part of everyday society. I do not fit in. I can not participate in the power struggles of the minimum wage world, or office politics, or testosterone fueled elitism often experienced in manly man bullshit jobs like auto repair or construction or factory work. I'm sick and tired of dealing with customers on the terms of some bullshit company policy that doesn't allow me to be myself and take initiative of a situation, nor back me up when there's a conflict or a hurdle I am having trouble with. I'm sick of phone scripts, sales meetings, company policy handbooks, drug tests, math tests, comprehension tests, and the contempt in people's eyes when they see me. I am, at the core, an artist. Yet I have no tools to express myself in a medium that I am good at, or I have tools for things that I do not have the talent for. I am sick and tired of repeating myself to my family again and again and again that working for the last 20+ years has done nothing for me, and I see no point in continuing to try and conform to and live up to other people's shitty ideas of standards. I have been fired from just about every single job I have ever had. I have had a few jobs that paid very well, yet I have absolutely nothing to show for my efforts. I am completely at my wit’s end about what to do with my life. I have ideas and dreams but lack the funds that I need to achieve them. I wish I had the courage to end my life and just get this fucking shit over with already. The irony, of course, is that if I possessed any of the courage that I desire, I probably would not be in this situation in the first place. 


15 comments:

  1. what company was it? I like to avoid places that discriminate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Round Table Pizza. I was applying for the delivery driver position. Stupid bitch asked me "If I asked you to go outside and dance for me, would you do it?" I told her NO haha. Then she asked me a few more questions, THEN she proceeded to tell me tattoos are against company policy. Why in the fuck would you wait until the END of this torture to tell me that. Couldn't just tell me right away instead of wasting my time? If you know that my appearance is not going to work for your company, then why even waste your own time? How inefficient! And I don't know for sure if what she told me about it being company policy is true or not. It might just be that particular store. Or maybe she just didn't like me and decided to use that against me at the end. Either way, I'm fucked.

      Delete
  2. Next time someone says that, you should ask them to back that up with documentation and then call it in to your local TV station to follow up with the company in regards to discrimination. That is what they are doing. Piercings you can take out, tattoos you can cover up. Discrimination is illegal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, more trouble than it's worth. Especially for some shit minimum wage job.

      Delete
  3. Hey now, this is the USA where lawsuits are a man best friend! Ive never been a party to a lawsuit but everyone I know has. Dont let opportunity like this pass you bye. If the laws are here to protect then use them for your advantage. It may be exactly what you need!
    Gosh I would of sent you an attorney in your area if I had seen this entry earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning, Just read about your 'mission' thru my local paper (LCT) and of course, finished up readin your blog. Have you considered taking a college course or two? They have Art classes, too.
    I would imagine you are putting your 'Walk' on hold at the moment as Summer is arriving, (hurt feet, too?) and well, seems there's a lotta desert between you and your goal..
    Also, while worrying about Bear, you forgot all about the Lions.. LC is FULL of them. You would have had to pass thru them first to get to the Bears ;) Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS~ I know that feeling. Here, enjoy;

    http://youtu.be/u04TZAeEImo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat! Thanks so much for reading my blog! Where did you say you heard about my blog at?

    Trying to get the foot to heal up at the moment. My target date to be back on the road is June 17th.

    I would love to go to school, but there's some serious issues that I don't want to go into about financing and such. Astronomy and or film school is what I would like to study.

    I'm a HUGE Crucifucks fan! Thanks for the link!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim! :)
      You made The Lassen County Times (Susanville) which, also printed in the same paper the capture and release of a lil bear ;) Hahaha... The newspaper printed a link to your blog along with a nice story about you & a picture of you with Rocky :)
      OoO, June 17th..(!) Might I recommend investing in a camelback (those water bladder backpack things).. you are gonna get hot.. and some zinc-oxide for that nose ;) Oh, and gelly (shoe) inserts! Some of em really are like walkin on air..
      ***I totally support you however, and totally understand.
      Only difference for me however was runnin *away* from Sacramento ;)
      Perhaps checking some classifieds online for Movie Production that is in need of volunteers? What better way than on locale.. And is how I learned Continuity. It's a thought, yes? :)
      And you're welcome for the link, I dig the whole genre ;)

      Delete
    2. Ok, first, are you the same Kat I knew in Sacramento a few years ago?

      And how in the hell did I make the Lassen County Times? HOLY CRAP! It's weird to me cause no one bothered to contact me about my trip haha. And now that I got held up on my trip I look like an ass to anyone that's read the article haha. Do you have a copy of the paper? Can you save me a copy?

      Yes, I have a Pltypus 100 oz/3 liter bag, two 48 oz, bottles, and one 64 oz bottle. Believe you, me, I am NOT going w/o liquids on this trip.

      Delete
  7. Jimbo? I'm not sure.. Are you? Could be..
    And HAHAHAHA again for you not knowing there are newspapers with pictures, youtube channel links & blog links ;) And yes, I am holding the paper for you, I will send it to you, Hahaha (I can't stop laughing)
    Hold on and I will post when I can control my laughter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am also widely known as "Jimbo". HOLY SHIT! Sending you an email right now via G+.

      Delete
  8. [URL=http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/YigsHorror/?action=view&current=DIY010.jpg][IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/YigsHorror/th_DIY010.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [URL=http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/YigsHorror/?action=view&current=DIY011.jpg][IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/YigsHorror/th_DIY011.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD! How weird! How in the hell did they hear about this? Thanks for sharing! Did you get my email?

      Delete